I have history in places I have never been. Fluvanna is a hamlet in the town of Ellicot in Chautatuqua County New York, on the East side of Lake Chautauqua. In its early days it was called "The Point" but the day came when it needed its own post office. First the post office, then the hamlet itself, were named after daughters of two brothers, early settlers in the area and veterans of the Revolution. Fluvia was the daughter of Nathaniel Fenton. Anna was the daughter of Jacob Fenton. Put them together and you have Fluvanna. There are at least two other places called Fluvanna, one in Texas and one in Virginia, but I don't know how they got their names.
This is a 1907 post card picture of the old post office. It was built in 1827, and lasted until 1911.
One of the many wonders of the internet is that you can access old books online. This little history of Fluvanna is a treasure trove of information, and the words at the top of the postcard are taken from it.
Anna Fenton married Henry Martin. They are my 2g-grandparents. Their descendants were lovingly listed by their childless granddaughter, Anna Louise Martin Ward, who was my 1st cousin twice removed.
I've never been to Fluvanna, or anywhere near it. I fly over it on Google maps and it looks beautiful and green. Sandy Robison wrote her story of growing up there, in the local Post Journal.



No comments:
Post a Comment